When you are shopping for a new product, it can be tough to know which one is the best fit for your needs. That is where this list comes in! We have searched high and low for the top 10 best ribbon mics on the market, and we think you will love every one of them. So read on to learn more about them all, and find the perfect one for you!
Our Picks of the Best Ribbon Mic:
Our 10 Best Ribbon Mic Picks:
As we have already shared with you a list of the top ribbon mic, you should be able to pick the right one for you pretty easily. However, if you are looking for detailed description of what each product does, read on as we go one by one in detail.
1. Stagg Ribbon Microphone (SRM70)
- A classic ribbon microphone featuring vivid, natural sound and quick transient response
- Perfect for vocals and a wide range of instruments, on the stage or in the studio
- Polar pattern: Figure-8 - Ribbon: Pure aluminium
- Sensitivity: - 52 dB +/- 2 dB (0 dB = 1 V / Pa at 1 kHz) - Frequency response: 20 Hz to 18 kHz - Output impedance: 350 ohms +/- 20 % (at 1 kHz) - Maximum sound pressure level: 148 dB (at 1 kHz ? 1 % THD)
- Shock mount included
3. sE Electronics Voodoo VR1 Ribbon Microphone
- Diaphragm: 2.5 aluminium ribbonFrequency Response: 20Hz-18kHzSensitivity: 1.6mV/Pa -56 1.5dBPolar Pattern: Figure 8Impedance: 300 OhmsEquivalent Noise Level: 17dB (A weighted)Max SPL for 0.5% THD@1000Hz: 135dBConnector: 3-pin XLR
- Until the Voodoo Series, one of the only ribbon mics in the world to perform across 20Hz-20kHz was sE's own Rupert Neve collaboration, the RNR1
- This was achieved using state-of-the-art custom transformers and a Rupert Neve-designed circuit to reveal HF usually absent
- With the Voodoo mics, full frequency response is achieved using a clever mechanical device designed by Siwei Zou, the company CEO, and a hand-tensioned ribbon constructed by highly specialized technicians in sE's capsule room
- The result is a superbly detailed, open and natural recording of acoustic instruments and guitar cabs
4. sE Electronics - X1 Series Ribbon Microphone and Clip
- Frequency Range- 20hz to 16khz
- Self Noise-23db
- 2.5 um aluminum ribbon
- Sensitivity- 1.78mV/Pa
- Impedance-200 ohms
5. Beyerdynamic M160 Double Ribbon Microphone - Hypercardioid
- Unique double ribbon microphone transducer with hypercardioid polar pattern
- Extended frequency response
- Excellent transparency and transient response
- Compact and rugged design
- Warm and natural sound.Microphone Frequency Response:40 - 18,000 Hz
6. Monoprice Stage Right Series Ribbon Microphone (625908)
- Timeless Sound: The LR100 combines modern design with an ultra-thin, 4 micron ribbon for a perfectly natural and classic sound.
- Industry Standard For Electric Guitars: The LR100 is exceptional at cutting midrange harshness from overdriven amps, smoothing out your tone.
- Active Electronics: The LR100 features an active design that retains the classic ribbon mic sound, while producing an output better suited for modern recording equipment.
- Modern Design: Unlike vintage ribbon mics, the LR100 features a robust modern design that eliminates the fragility associated with older designs.
- Built to modern specs, making it ideal for a much larger number of sound sources, including electric guitar cabinets, drums, brass and woodwinds, and more.
7. Golden Age Project R1 Active MKIII Active Ribbon Microphone
- Unmatched natural & musical sound of a classical ribbon microphone combined with the constent sound quality offered by addition of active electronics
- The typical large and mellow ribbon sound quality with a very smooth top end and an extended low end
- A Bipolar/FET descrete low-noise amplifier with a low impedance transformer less output stage, powered by standard 48V phantom power
- It raises the level and isolates the ribbon and gain make-up transformer from the outside world
- Removable microphone cable and padded case included
- Switchable -10db pad and 100hz low cut filter
8. sE Electronics Voodoo VR1 Passive Ribbon Microphone with Mic...
- High-quality ribbon capsule reproduces frequencies from 20 Hz to 18 KHz, noise level of 17 dB, and a 135 dB maximum SPL for pristine sound quality
- Advanced ribbon mic technology with long, aluminum ribbon transducer for reproduction of signals with a wide frequency response and clear detail
- Figure 8 polar pattern, passive electronics, 300 Ohms impedance, and 3-pin XLR connector
- Ideal for acoustic instrument and guitar cab recording with handcrafted and hand-tuned ribbon element
- Mic Pop Filter for optimal audio performonace included in the Photo Savings kit with more perfect add-on accessories
9. Royer Labs R-121 Large-Element Ribbon Microphone, Nickel
- High SPL capabilities
- No internal active electronics to overload or produce distortion up to maximum SPL rating
- Extremely low residual noise
- Ribbon element not affected by heat or humidity
- No high frequency phase distortion
10. AEA KU5A Supercardioid Ribbon Microphone
- Supercardioid polar response effectively reduces ambience in any environment
- End-address for simple placement in front of instruments and vocalists
- High pass filter can be engaged to reduce the proximity effect of close miking
- Proudly Made in the USA
How to Choose the Best Ribbon Mic?
It can be difficult to choose a ribbon mic that is perfect for your needs. With so many options available, it can be hard to determine which one is right for you. This article will help you find the factors you need to look for and how to narrow down your selections so that you can find the best ribbon mic for you.
When it comes to selecting a product, the first thing you should consider is the brand. Some brands are more dependable than others, and some have just that wow factor present while some do not. You should research several brands and compare their ratings in order to come to a conclusion.
ribbon mic Price
The next thing you should consider when choosing a product is the price. Although prices will vary between different products, some are more expensive than others. You need to determine which features matter most and if they are worth the extra money. For example, if you want a ribbon mic, make sure it will serve the purpose perfectly without costing more than usual.
What is Included?
Some products come with additional items that can be useful, but some do not. You should make sure that the product you choose comes with everything it needs to be fully functional, such as batteries and chargers. Moreover, if some items are missing, you may need to go out and buy them separately. If you want all of the necessary components included in your purchase, read the list of materials carefully or ask around about what is included before making your choice.
When you are trying to determine the best product, it is important to read what customers have to say about it. Feedback can be helpful because it contains details that manufacturer websites or guides often leave out. Reading through customer ratings and reviews will allow you to get into their heads and learn how they really feel about their experience with the product.
If you are new to using a ribbon mic, it is best to choose something simple and straightforward if possible. Complex products can be intimidating to use at first, however, they are often more advanced than some simpler devices.
If you do not want anything too difficult for the first time around, consider choosing a simple ribbon mic.
Similarly, it is a good idea to choose a product that is durable. A high-quality ribbon mic will be able to take a bit of wear and tear without breaking down or being damaged in any way. If you want something that can last for a long time with regular use, look into the materials used in the design process and consider their durability and sturdiness.
Make sure the product is ultimately what you are looking for and that its features are exactly what you need before you pay for it.
Ease of Use
Lastly, when selecting a ribbon mic, you should consider how easy it is to use. A lot of people do not want to struggle with adjusting settings and understanding directions, so it is important for your product to be user-friendly. Ensure the features work properly and that they are easy to figure out on your own before buying.
Just because you are browsing through plenty of products does not mean you have to settle on the one that is just ok. There are many options, but they are all different. Make sure the product is ultimately what you are looking for and that its features are exactly what you need before you pay for it.
All ribbon mics require some level of maintenance. However, the frequency is still something to think about before you purchase. If you are someone who can not be bothered to deal with these kinds of things, look into which products are low-maintenance or completely maintenance-free.
To Sum Up
In the end, it is up to you which one of these products will be best for your needs. Every product has different pros and cons that should be considered before making a decision. However, we believe our review was as fair and unbiased as possible so you can make an educated choice on what may work best for you! What do you think? Have any questions about the reviews or anything else in this blog post? Please comment below with your thoughts! Thank you again for reading todays post and stay tuned next week for another great article.
Last update on 2022-06-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API